Your military Tuition Assistance is determined by your class enrollment, participation, and completion at University of Maryland University College. Learn how changes in your situation could affect you financially.

FAQs: Return of Military Tuition Assistance

What is Return of Tuition Assistance? +

In accordance with new regulations issued by the Department of Defense, Return of Tuition Assistance is a calculation UMUC is required to perform to determine eligibility when a servicemember officially or unofficially withdraws from a course. If a servicemember officially or unofficially withdraws from a course and he or she did not complete at least 60 percent of the course, he or she may not be eligible for the total amount initially awarded through the Tuition Assistance. In cases where some or all of the Tuition Assistance must be returned to the DoD, the servicemember will be responsible for all balances on his or her UMUC student account.

What is the difference between an official withdrawal and unofficial withdrawal? +

An official withdrawal is when a student actually drops a course through MyUMUC, the military portal, or an academic advisor. An unofficial withdrawal is when a student never attends or stops attending or participating in a course without prior approval from the faculty member teaching the course. For unofficial withdrawals, UMUC will use the last date of participation to determine if the service member completed at least 60 percent of the course.

Will I owe both UMUC and my military branch for the same class? +

Yes. You may owe both UMUC and your military branch but only up to the total tuition cost. UMUC will work with your military branch to return unearned funds.

What if I was TDY or deployed and couldn’t complete my courses? +

If you are a servicemember who was sent TDY or deployed, UMUC will work with you to identify a solution that does not negatively affect your student account at UMUC. Please submit a Request for Exception form to the Student Resolution and Judicial Affairs Office. For more information, contact Student Resolution and Judicial Affairs at