- Secondary education (high school graduation): If you have earned fewer than 24 transferable credits at a U.S. college or university, you must verify your completion of the equivalent of a U.S. secondary education by doing one of the following:
- Requesting an evaluation from an approved international credit evaluation service
- Providing official transcripts showing completion of the U.S. General Education Development, known as the GED, exam with a passing score
- English language proficiency: If English is not your native language, you need to demonstrate college-level proficiency in written English prior to enrolling at UMUC by means of one of the following:
- Earn a minimum score of 550 on the written version or 79 on the Internet version on the Test of English as a Foreign Language; the TOEFL score recovery code for UMUC is 5804
- Earn a minimum overall score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System; must include the academic writing and academic reading modules
- Earn a minimum grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam
- Provide documentation of graduation from a U.S. high school or regionally accredited university
- Provide a transcript indicating a grade of C or higher in an English composition course from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
Please send official score reports directly from the testing agency to Student Academic Records. All scores (TOEFL, IELTS, and EIKEN) must be no more than two years old.
After proof of English language proficiency is met, you will be eligible to enroll while we await verification of your academic credentials. If we do not receive verification within two terms of application, you will not be permitted to register for subsequent semesters until official documentation is received and accepted for admissions purposes.
Applicants who were educated in select countries already meet the English language requirement. See countries that qualify.