University of Maryland University College is hosting the GenCyber 2019 Teacher Camp for high school teachers who are interested in incorporating cybersecurity into their curriculum. The goal of the weeklong intensive program, which takes place July 8–12, is to help teachers improve their methods of delivery for cybersecurity content in their high school curricula.
The application deadline for the 2019 camp is May 31 at 11:59 p.m.
About the GenCyber 2019 Teacher Camp
When: July 8–12, 2019, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. each day
Where: UMUC's Academic Center at Largo, 1616 McCormick Drive, Largo, MD 20774
Teachers must be available to travel to camp classes each day for the entire week.
Camp participants will receive
- Cybersecurity training relevant to grades 9–12
- Cybersecurity curriculum development support
- A $1,000 stipend for full program participation
- Resources and tools to take back to the classroom
- Breakfast, lunch, and a snack every day of the camp
- Letter of completion
Before You Apply: Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must
- Currently be a teacher in a public, private, or charter high school
- Able to participate for full camp week; no housing provided
How to Apply
Submit the GenCyber 2019 Teacher Camp application form and supporting documentation. Toward the end of the application form, you will be prompted to provide any supporting documents.
Essay (250–500 words, typed and double-spaced) or a video (1–2 minutes) containing responses to the following prompts:
- Tell us why you should be chosen to receive this GenCyber opportunity and what makes you stand out from your peers?
- Describe any contributions to the cybersecurity field i.e., volunteer work, articles, etc., and any other cyber-related hobbies or extracurricular activities you enjoy, and what they mean to you.
- How would you incorporate cybersecurity concepts into the courses you teach?
Optional Supporting Documentation
- Letters of recommendation from a school principal, assistant principal, department head, or a personal reference (could be from a student)
- Latest school transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
Submit all required information on the application form by the deadline of May 31, 2019.
How to Save Your File
Combine your files into one PDF. Name the file gencyber-application-lastname.pdf. The file should be no larger than 16 MB, because you will need to upload it to the GenCyber application form.
If you have chosen to use a video in place of the essay, please type the link to your video and include that in your PDF.
Please note: If accepted, you may be required to submit additional information.