Develop your marketing expertise and gain leading-edge management skills with a master's degree in management with a specialization in marketing.
The Master of Science in management with a specialization in marketing from University of Maryland University College can help you move toward a senior position with leadership skills essential to the core function of every organization, public or private. You'll learn the latest marketing strategies as well as the foundations of solid management practice to gain an edge in the job market.
These program requirements are for students who enroll in the 2019–2020 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit the catalog archive in the Current Students section.
About the Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization
The curriculum for the marketing specialization includes courses in brand management, consumer behavior, direct marketing, international marketing, legal and ethical issues in marketing, marketing management, and marketing research. Coursework also covers data mining, data analysis, digital marketing, and elements of marketing analytics.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Develop marketing strategies and plans effectively
- Develop creative strategies that communicate successfully with prospects
- Assess the effectiveness of a marketing program and develop recommendations for improvement
- Choose between many media options and use media effectively to achieve results
- Understand and implement research design
- Apply ethical principles in business situations
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Prepare a marketing plan for a real-world product or solution
- Complete a consumer experience project focused on ethical marketing tactics
- Develop an effective consumer intervention strategy based on insights obtained from consumer research
- Understand the major digital marketing channels and learn how to measure digital marketing efforts and calculate ROI
Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Master's - specialization Courses
- UCSP 615
(to be taken within the first 6 credits of study)
- MGMT 630
- MGMT 640
- MGMT 650
Core Rules & Recommendations
- You can take MGMT 610 and MGMT 615 instead of MGMT 630.
- MGMT 630 must be taken within the first 6 credits.
- MGMT 640 and MGMT 650 should not be taken at the same time.
- MRKT 620
- MRKT 602
- MRKT 603
- MRKT 604
- MRKT 605
- MRKT 606
Specialization Rules & Recommendations
- You can take MRKT 600 and MRKT 601 instead of MRKT 620
- MRKT 600 and MRKT 601 (or MRKT 620) must be taken as the first specialization courses.
- MGMT 650 must be completed before enrolling in MRKT 604 and MRKT 606.
- MGMT 670
Capstone Rules & Recommendations
You must complete 24 credits, including all core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.
- All degree requirements must be fulfilled within five consecutive years.
- Any transfer credits must have been earned within the five-year time frame to be applied toward a graduate degree.
This program is designed to help prepare you for a senior-level marketing position in the private or public sectors, leading consumer-focused and business-to-business organizations.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
If you don't have recent statistics experience, we recommend you take UCSP 630. If you lack a background in finance or accounting, we recommend you take UCSP 620. We recommend UCSP 605 if you'd like to improve your graduate writing skills.
We did a lot of marketing research and studied all the major companies. In one class, we even learned how the Grateful Dead and the NBA were marketed. This gave me a broad understanding of how business can become successful.
Master of Business Administration
I really looked at UMUC as a chance to redeem myself and really elevate myself professionally. I have done so well. It's been everything I hoped for and more. I had great professors, great classmates, and a great program.
Matthew Sciannella, MS
Marketing Manager, ABICOR BINZEL
Management Master's Degree with Marketing Specialization
Student Clubs and Organizations
Type: Student organization
Available To: Undergraduate and Graduate
This club provides opportunities for students to learn more about the field of marketing, discuss their shared interests, and network with classmates and faculty members.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Director of merchandising
- Director of strategic marketing
- Executive director
- Media supervisor
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- General Motors Credit Card
- Gallup & Robinson
- Shenandoah Valley Small Business Development Center