Know a student interested in pursuing a career in writing education and/or support?
The EWC, in partnership with the Writing Program, offers the perfect tutor training course, WRTG 387: Theories and Methods of Teaching Writing. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-985-7000, ext. 2890 or 1-800-888-UMUC (8682), ext. 2890.
Helping Your Students Improve Their Writing
Use the information on these pages when developing lesson plans or giving out assignments to help your students write more effectively.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the EWC
- Writing Fellows Guidelines - Have the EWC "Visit" Your Classroom!
- Helping Students Avoid Plagiarism
- Teaching Students to Cite Online Sources
Designing Effective Writing Assignments
An effective writing assignment can advance important course objectives. It clarifies what you expect of students, encourages students to learn actively, and may even help them to self-assess both their learning and their written work.
- Types of Writing Assignments
- Informal and Formal Writing Assignments
- Characteristics of Effective Writing Assignments
- Guiding Questions for Developing Assignments
- Assignment Description Checklist
- Assessing the Research and Writing Process
- Sequencing Assignments
Writing Advice Samples
The EWC advises in four areas: assignment, organization, development and research, grammar and mechanics. Please take a look at our bank of sample advice:
- Sample Writing Advice Template
- Legal Studies