Frequently Asked Questions

If your semester is delayed or impacted by a natural disaster, you are sure to have questions. Below, please see our answers to frequently asked questions.

If at any time you have additional questions, please contact Academic Advising at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

FAQs for:

Current Students

  1. I have been unable to access my online classroom and/or attend classes due to a natural disaster. What should I do?

    If you are a current student, contact your faculty member as soon as communication channels become available. If you are not able to make contact with him/her, call Academic Advising at 855-655-UMUC (8682) for guidance, and to make them aware of your situation.

  2. Does UMUC have a policy in place to help students who are displaced by a natural disaster?

    Please be assured that UMUC has policies in place to help you. Each student's situation will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. A representative at UMUC will help you to determine your best options. If you have questions, please call Academic Advising at 855-655-UMUC (8682). You may also view Course Withdrawal Policy.

  3. I receive tuition assistance through Financial Aid, Employer Assistance, Scholarships, and/or Veterans Assistance. What should I do?

    Please contact Student Financial Services at 855-655-UMUC before making any adjustments to your course schedule. This will help you to avoid any negative financial implications.

Visiting Students

  1. My institution is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster but I would like to continue taking classes. Can UMUC help?

    UMUC will expeditiously admit and enroll students who have been displaced from their universities because of a natural disaster. If you would like to continue your coursework at UMUC, either online or in classrooms in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, please call 855-655-UMUC (8682) for admission.

Faculty Members

  1. I or my students have been unable to conduct class activities due to a natural disaster. What should I do?

    If you are a faculty member, contact your Program Director to get assistance in communicating with your class and/or determining what accommodations should be made. You may also contact the School of Undergraduate Studies at 240-582-2787 or the Graduate School at 240-684-2400.

  2. Where can I find additional information about handling natural disasters and other types of emergencies that interrupt classes?

    To help you prepare for the unexpected, UMUC’s Classroom Interruption Planning Guide outlines a number of steps you can take to help ensure you are prepared if your classroom becomes inaccessible for an extended period of time.

    As always, you can contact your Program Director for additional information or assistance.