UMUC at a Glance
UMUC is a USM institution with a significant national profile
- In Fiscal Year 2012*, UMUC's worldwide enrollment ranked first among four-year degree granting public universities in the U.S.
- The number of stateside students has more than doubled in the last 10 years, increasing to over 42,268 stateside in fall 2012.
UMUC is a world leader in online education
- In FY 2013, UMUC had over 261,000 online course enrollments.
- Currently, UMUC offers nearly 100 bachelor and master degree programs and certificates fully online. In FY 2013, UMUC offered 970 distinct courses online.
- UMUC has received five Sloan Consortium Excellence Awards:
- Excellence in Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming
- Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching
- Outstanding Online Program for the Master of Science in Biotechnology
- Outstanding Online Program for the Master of Business Administration
- Outstanding Online Program for the Master of Distance Education
UMUC is a Maryland institution addressing Maryland's needs
- In FY 2013, UMUC served over 34,000 Marylanders.
- As of FY 2013, UMUC offered on-site instruction at 21 sites throughout Maryland.
- Maryland residents represented 61 percent of UMUC's fall 2012 stateside course enrollments.
- As of FY 2012, UMUC has alliances with all 16 Maryland Community Colleges, which includes 351 articulated programs.
- In Fall 2012, UMUC has enrolled more than 4,200 students in the undergraduate and graduate cyber security programs.
UMUC is a global institution
- UMUC's overseas divisions offered on site classes in 25 countries and territories throughout the world, enrolling 33,852 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe in FY 2013.
- UMUC received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC's online hands-on labs in information assurance. (2010)
UMUC provides access to higher education for minority students
- In fall 2012, 34 percent of UMUC's stateside students were African-Americans; minority students comprised 47 percent of the total enrollment – UMUC enrolls more African American students than any of the four individual Maryland HBCUs.
- In FY 2013, 33 percent of students who took at least one online class were African-American.
- In FY 2013, 39 percent of master's degrees were awarded to African-American students; 32 percent of all degrees and certificates were awarded to African-American students.
UMUC provides higher education opportunities to working adults
- As of spring 2013, 78 percent of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC's stateside programs were working full time. 49 percent of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2012, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC's stateside undergraduate programs was 31 years old.
UMUC is the senior academic institution delivering higher education to our military
- Today, UMUC enrolls around 56,000 active duty military, reserves, dependents and veterans.
- Currently, UMUC offers courses at more than 150 worldwide locations on four continent.
- Military Times Edge ranked UMUC one of the Best for Vets Colleges. (2013)
- Military Advanced Education named UMUC one of the top Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities for four consecutive years. (2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked UMUC as the fourth largest provider of higher education to service members and veterans who use their federal education benefits. (2010)
* Most recent data available from Department of Education