UMUC at a Glance
UMUC is a University System of Maryland institution with a significant national profile.
- In FY 2013, UMUC enrolled more students worldwide than any other four-year, degree-granting public university in the United States.*
- The number of stateside students has increased by more than 25% over the last 10 years to 47,906 in fall 2014.
- USM Board of Regents projections estimate that UMUC's student headcount will grow 13% by 2023.
UMUC is a world leader in online education.
- In FY 2014, UMUC had more than 243,000 worldwide online course enrollments.
- Currently, UMUC offers 93 degrees, specializations, and certificates.
- In FY 2014, UMUC offered more than 1,000 distinct courses online.
- UMUC has received five Sloan Consortium Excellence in Online Teaching and Learning awards for Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming; Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for UMUC’s Master of Distance Education, Master of Business Administration, and Master of Science in Biotechnology; and Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching.
UMUC is a Maryland institution addressing Maryland's needs.
- In FY 2014, UMUC served more than 32,000 Marylanders.
- In FY 2014, UMUC offered on-site instruction at 18 locations throughout Maryland.
- Maryland residents represented 48% of UMUC’s fall 2014 stateside enrolled students.
- As of FY 2014, UMUC has alliances with all 16 Maryland Community Colleges that include more than 300 articulated programs.
- In fall 2014, UMUC enrolled more than 4,600 students in the undergraduate and graduate cyber security programs.
UMUC is a global institution.
- In FY 2014, UMUC’s overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 25 countries and territories throughout the world, enrolling 27,773 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe.
- UMUC has received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: the Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC’s online hands-on labs in information assurance.
UMUC provides access to higher education for minority students.
- UMUC enrolls more African American students than any of the four Maryland historically black colleges and universities. In fall 2014, 30% of UMUC’s stateside students were African American students; minority students constituted 46% of the total enrollment.
- In FY 2014, 31% of UMUC students who took at least one online class were African American.
- In FY 2014, 37% of the master’s degrees UMUC conferred and 30% of all degrees and certificates at UMUC were awarded to African American students.
UMUC provides higher education opportunities to working adults.
- As of spring 2014, 74% of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC’s stateside programs were working full-time.
- More than half (54%) of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2014, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC’s stateside undergraduate programs was 31 years old.
UMUC continues its long history of delivering higher education to our military.
- Today, UMUC enrolls approximately 54,000 active-duty military, reservist, dependent, and veteran students.
- UMUC offers courses and/or services at 140 worldwide locations on four continents.
- Military Times Edge ranked UMUC one of the “Best for Vets Colleges” in 2014.
- Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Guide to Military Friendly Schools, named UMUC among the top military-friendly colleges and universities in 2014.
*Comparing UMUC FY 2013 worldwide unduplicated headcount number with head counts of all other public four-year degree-granting institutions, as reported by IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System).
Updated September 2014