Frequently Asked Questions

When are graduation clearances completed?

Graduation clearances are completed year round. Typically, your diploma application will be reviewed within three or four weeks after the start of the term in which you have applied.

How can I request a Letter of Completion?

A Letter of Completion is a document indicating that you have completed your degree requirements. It is often used as documentation for employers and promotion boards when official transcripts indicating conferral of degree are not yet available. To request a Letter of Completion, send an e-mail to Be sure to include your name, Empl ID, and your mailing address. If your letter has to be sent to a third party, you must submit a written request—with your signature—via fax or hard copy.

What do I need to do to graduate with honors?

Graduation honors are conferred on bachelor's degree recipients only. If you are a bachelor's degree candidate, you must have at least a 3.80 grade point average and have completed at least 45 credits of graded coursework at UMUC to be eligible for graduation honors. Please refer to your academic catalog for further details. 

How do I invite friends or relatives from outside of the country to attend commencement? 

UMUC will draft a letter to the embassy of the country in which the person lives to serve as documentation for getting necessary travel approvals. To request this letter, e-mail* and include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your student ID number or Social Security Number
  • Your address
  • Your phone number
  • Name of guest(s) and relationship to you
  • Address of guest(s)
  • Whether you wish for the letter to be sent to you or the embassy
  • If to embassy, name and address of embassy

*If a letter is to be sent to the embassy directly, a hard copy of the letter, with your signature, will be required. This can be faxed to Graduation Services at 240-684-2008. 

Please note that the number of tickets available per graduate is limited. 

When will my degree be awarded?  

Degrees are awarded on the appropriate conferral date for the term. Diplomas are mailed six to eight weeks from the conferral date. You can request a copy of your transcript or a Letter of Completion showing the date your degree was awarded after the conferral date.  

How do I change my name so that it is reflected on my diploma? 

Please fax a copy of your driver's license and a marriage certificate or birth certificate, if your name has been legally changed, to Graduation Services at 240-684-2008. You must include your student ID number on the request. 

How do I request a duplicate or replacement copy of my diploma/certificate? 

The Replacement/Duplicate Order Form should only be used to request a copy of a UMUC diploma or certificate that was issued previously by any UMUC division (Stateside, Europe, or Asia). The cost is $50 per replacement credential, and payment information is included on the form.  

The request can be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed; contact information is on the form. Processing time for replacement credentials is four to six weeks from the receipt of the form. Fill out the Replacement/Duplicate Order Form or contact the Graduation Certification Office to request a form.