College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The computer-based College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams are available at computer-based test (CBT) centers including UMUC National Testing Centers (NTC). Anyone with their own base access can contact the following stateside UMUC locations for days and times of testing:
- Joint Base Anacostia–Bolling, 202-563-3611, requires base access
- Dorsey Station, 443-459-3500, open access
- Eglin AFB, 850-882-1321, requires base access
- Fort Meade, 301-621-9882, requires NSA Campus Access Badge
- Joint Base Andrews, 301-981-3123, requires base access
- Travis AFB, 707-344-6891, requires base access
University of Maryland College Park offers CBT CLEP examinations. The test center is located in the Shoemaker Building and offers tests Monday through Saturday. Additional information is available by calling 301-314-7688. The UMUC score recovery code number is 5804. You must enter this number on your exam material if you want your score sent directly to our office. Check with your employer concerning possible reimbursement for the test fee.
CLEP study guides are available at most book stores or order online through the College Board CLEP test preparation web site.
To register and order your CLEP exam, please visit this web site.
Check out this tutorial from the College Board.
CLEP information is subject to change without notice. All CLEP General Examinations are considered lower level.
NOTE 1: UMUC accepts either the essay or optional essay versions of CLEP, College Composition or College Composition Modular respectively, or the Excelsior (formerly PEP) Freshman English test. Students earning credit from any of these exams must also complete two three-semester hour courses in writing, for example, WRTG101 and WRTG391, or WRTG393 to satisfy the General Education Requirement in Communications. No more than 3 semester hours of writing credit may be earned through credit-by-examination. Generally CLEP Composition exams may not be taken for credit by students who have completed a higher-numbered English writing course.
NOTE 2: Educational Testing Services requires a three-month waiting period before retaking a test.
NOTE 3: Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) funds CLEP and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) exams (one attempt per title). Military funding is no longer available for retesting.
Who is eligible for a DANTES-funded exam?
- Military personnel (active duty, reserve, National Guard): Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Navy Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army, and Air National Guard
- Spouses and civilian employees of: Air Force Reserve, Army National Guard, Army Reserve, Coast Guard (active and Reserve). Please note: Spouses and civilian employees of Air National Guard can no longer receive DANTES funding.