Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course
Frequently Asked Questions

UMUC is committed to helping you achieve your academic goals; however, we realize that sometimes circumstances may arise that prevent you from successfully completing your coursework as planned. Dropping and/or withdrawing from a course can have financial and academic implications that should be taken into consideration when making this decision.

Recent changes in financial aid rules and veterans education benefits have further complicated the course withdrawal process; only trained representatives have the knowledge to help students make the best decision(s)—financially and academically.

Before dropping or withdrawing from a course, we suggest you review the answers to the following most frequently asked questions.

Is withdrawing the best option?

This decision can potentially impact your academic and financial aid standing and should only be done if it is your only option. The first thing you can do before withdrawing from a class is talk with your instructor.

Your instructor can inform you about your progress in a specific course based on the grading criteria stated in the syllabus and your participation and grades earned to date. Your instructor may also be able to explore opportunities that may allow you to successfully complete the course in accordance with university guidelines and policies.

If you are an undergraduate student, UMUC's Center for Student Success can help you

To find out more about the resources and services available to you, please e-mail studentsuccess@umuc.edu.

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

An academic drop occurs when you remove yourself from a course before or during UMUC's drop period. There are no academic consequences from this action, but there may be financial aid repercussions for this drop if you no longer meet aid qualifications. The course will show on your registration history as dropped but will not post on any unofficial or official transcripts and does not count as attempted credit.

An academic withdrawal from a course occurs when you remove yourself from a course after the drop period has passed. There will be financial repercussions for this withdrawal based on the refund schedule.

The academic consequences from this action include receiving the grade of "W" for the course, which will appear on any unofficial or official transcripts. A grade of "W" will not impact your GPA, but does not count as completed credit toward your degree.

What is the refund policy?

Students who withdraw after the drop period will not receive a 100 percent tuition refund. You must withdraw before or during the drop period of your class to receive a refund, excluding the application fee.*

For more information, please visit the Refund Policies page.

UMUC students are expected to make payment at the time of registration. There are penalties for non-payment. If your payment is not received by the due date, you may be penalized by being disenrolled from your courses or having your account balance transferred to the State Central Collections Unit (SCCU).

* Under special circumstances, a student may request an exception to course drop and withdrawal and refund policies. For a list of qualifying circumstances and instructions on how to apply for an exception, please see the Exceptions to Course Drop and Withdrawals and Refund Policies page.

Are there veterans benefits implications?

Students who drop or withdraw from courses will be required to repay veterans educational benefits received for the course(s). This may include tuition payments, book allowances, housing or monthly allowances. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may reduce benefits from the beginning date of your enrollment. And you may be required to repay all benefits unless you can show that the drop/withdrawal was due to "mitigating circumstances," which are defined as unavoidable or unexpected events beyond your control, such as illness or employment/child care changes. The VA will ask you to submit supporting evidence for your withdrawal, such as a statement from your doctor or employer. If mitigating circumstances are approved, the VA may allow benefits up to the last date of attendance.

Please review the information about mitigating circumstances and the 6 credit hour exclusion policy on the VA website.

Are there military benefits implications?

Dropping or withdrawing from courses may require you to pay back the military if you used tuition assistance. If you are an active, Reserve or National Guard student who enrolled in the course through the GAE portal, you must drop or withdraw from a class using Go Army Ed.

Are there financial aid implications?

Dropping or withdrawing from courses may impact your financial aid. Please review our financial aid policies.

Additionally, please review the Return to Title IV Policy.

How do I drop or withdraw?

To drop or withdraw from a course, you must do the following:

  • Log into MyUMUC.
  • Select Student Center > Enroll
  • Choose a term by clicking the button at the beginning of the row
  • Select Continue
  • Select the Drop tab across the top
  • Check the box of the course(s) from which you want to drop or withdraw
  • Select Drop Selected Classes
  • Confirm your pending drop/withdraw course(s) listed
  • Select Finish Dropping
  • Read and complete any additional verification steps. You may be asked to acknowledge these changes may affect your eligibility for tuition assistance, veterans benefits and/or financial aid when dropping or withdrawing from a course.

You will receive a green checkmark/"Success: dropped" status for each class from which you were attempting to drop or withdraw. If you get a red "X", take note of what is listed in the "Message" box to find the nature of the issue.

Once you have dropped or withdrawn from your course, please contact an advisor* about course planning for the next term. Advisors can be reached by calling 855-655-8682 or e-mailing studentsfirst@umuc.edu.

* Academic advisors cannot process drop/withdrawal requests.

Note: The above process is for UMUC stateside students only. UMUC Europe and UMUC Asia may have a different process.