Frequently Asked Questions About How Dropping Classes Affects Financial Aid 

What Happens if I… 

Drop All of My Classes?

If you drop all of your classes (either before classes start or during the drop period), your financial aid will be canceled. If your financial aid has already been disbursed to you, you will have to repay that amount to UMUC. Dropping classes may also affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress. For the latest information on your financial aid eligibility, check the Student Center in MyUMUC.

Stop Participating in My Classes but Don't Withdraw from Them?

If you stop participating in your classes and do not actually withdraw from them, you will receive grades of FN (failure for nonattendance) and will be considered to have withdrawn from classes when you ceased participating. FN grades may also affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress.  For the latest information on your financial aid eligibility, check the Student Center in MyUMUC.

Certify My Intent to Return to UMUC but Do Not Attend Classes?

If you intended to return to UMUC but find that you are unable to do so, your financial aid will be recalculated. Typically, this recalculation will result in a balance owed to the university.

Return to UMUC but Didn't Certify My Intent to Return?

If you return to UMUC within the same semester, your eligibility for financial aid will be re-evaluated, and your original financial aid award could be restored. However, you must complete your class(es) to keep your aid.

How Can I ...

Tell if I Have Completed 60 Percent of My Classes?

To determine the percentage of classes you have completed, you will need to know the start and end dates of your scheduled enrollment. You can find this information by logging into MyUMUC.

  1. Go to the Academics section to view your courses.
  2. Click on the course that has the earliest start date, and go to the Course Detail. You will find the session number and type (for example, Online 1).
  3. Click on the course with the latest start date, and locate the session number and type.
  4. Refer to the current 60 percent enrollment chart for your semester, and find the date listed under the 60 percent column for your session.

Appeal a Return of Title IV Funds Calculation?

Federal regulations prohibit us from processing appeals to Return of Title IV Funds reviews, and all adjustments are final. However, if your enrollment change was caused by extreme extenuating circumstances, you may request an exception to UMUC's course drop and withdrawal policies

In addition, if there are sessions still available in the current term and you re-enroll, you may be eligible to have all or part of your financial aid reinstated.

Pay My Remaining Balance?

If you are unable to re-enroll in classes, you can pay off your remaining balance in a number of ways:

Pending Award: You may use a pending financial aid award to pay for a prior balance. To be eligible to do this,

  • You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in current term.
  • Your financial aid award amount must be enough to cover current and prior term balances.
  • Your prior balance charges must be financial aid eligible.

Contact to determine if this is a possibility for you.

Payment Plan: You may be eligible for our interest-free Prior Balance Payment Plan, which allows you to satisfy your balance with monthly payments (up to seven monthly installments). Contact for more information.

Credit Card or E-Check: Pay online at MyUMUC through the Student Center or by phone at 800-888-8682 to satisfy the balance using a credit card or e-check. If you received a financial aid refund (excess aid after tuition and fees are paid), we recommend you use those funds to cover the balance.