Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Who Needs to Apply?

  • New students
  • Students who have not registered for classes at UMUC in the past two years

Undergraduate Admission Criteria

Applicants must meet one of the following admissions criteria:

  • Graduation from a state-approved or regionally accredited high school
  • Passing scores on a state high school equivalency exam such as the General Education Development (GED) examination
  • Graduation from a homeschooling or alternative high school program approved by the UMUC Admissions Office (additional admissions documentation may be required)
  • Graduation from an international high school with a credential evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. high school degree by an approved international credentials evaluation agency

Applicants who have questions about meeting the criteria above can contact a UMUC representative at 1-800-888-8682.

Student Status: Regular, Provisional, or Semester-Only

Regular Status

A qualified applicant who wants to receive credit for courses (whether intending to receive a degree or not) is admitted as a regular student. Admission as a regular student is granted to U.S.-educated applicants who fulfill the following academic requirements that may apply to their educational level.

  • Graduation from a regionally accredited or state-approved high school, or passing scores on the GED exam as detailed above.
  • A cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all college-level work attempted at other regionally accredited colleges and universities, including our University System of Maryland Institutions.

An academic probation or dismissal that occurred at least two years before the date when you apply for admission has no bearing in your admission status.

You must submit all official documents of your educational background to UMUC by the end of your second term once admitted and before your request for an official evaluation. If you present at least 24 semester hours of transferable college credit, you will not be required to submit official high school transcripts or GED scores.

Provisional Status

Two types of students are in this category: transfer students who had a cumulative grade-point average at their last institution of less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) within the previous two years and those who have been academically dismissed within the past two years from any institution, regardless of their cumulative grade-point average. If you fall into this category, you may apply for admission if at least one semester has passed since you last attended any institution.

As a provisional student, you may enroll for a maximum of 7 credits during a fall or spring semester or summer trimester. To remain eligible to register, you must, during your first semester of enrollment at UMUC, submit transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. Otherwise, you will not be permitted to re-register.

After successfully completing 7 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, you may request a change to regular status. The change of status is not automatic.

Semester-Only Status for International Students

International students who demonstrate English language proficiency and also fall under one of the following categories may be admitted for one semester only:

  • F-1 visa holders seeking to attend here on a letter of permission from their home institution.

To be eligible to register for a subsequent semester, these students must meet the following criteria:

  • F-1 visa holders attending other schools must submit a letter of permission from their sponsoring institutions before registration each semester.

Special Circumstances

Students Seeking Readmission

If it has been more than two years since your last registration at UMUC, you must complete a new application for admission. (If you have attended UMUC-Asia or UMUC-Europe within the past two years, please complete the Relocation Form instead of submitting an application for admission.) However, if you were previously an undergraduate student and are enrolling as a undergraduate student again, you will not be required to pay another application fee. With permission, students currently enrolled in UMUC's overseas divisions may enroll in online distance education courses in the United States without reapplying. However, students seeking to transfer permanently to UMUC in the United States from these divisions must reapply and, if necessary, update their immigration status at UMUC.

If you are a service member who discontinued studies with UMUC due to service obligations and would now like to return as a UMUC student,  please contact the Office of Military Advising at military@umuc.edu or please call 240-684-2105 or 877-275-8682 so that we can help you continue with your studies. Please see the Department of Education's policy on re-admission for service members for further information.

Please note: If it has been more than two years since your last registration at UMUC, you must complete a new application for admission so that we can make sure we have your most updated information.  If you are applying to the same career, an application fee will not be charged.

A Note to Former Overseas UMUC Students Now Living in the United States

If you attended one of UMUC's overseas divisions, are now living in the United States and wish to take distance education courses, please contact the Military Advising Team for assistance. After you have registered, your records will be requested from overseas for inclusion in your UMUC file in the United States.

If you attend one of our overseas divisions and wish to graduate from that division, you will need to contact the last UMUC division you attended for further instructions. To request transcripts or to receive degree completion information, write directly to the appropriate division listed below.

European Division
University of Maryland University College
Unit 29216
APO AE 09102
Fax: 011-49-6221-378300
Visit web site

Asian Division
University of Maryland University College
Unit 5060, Box 0100
APO AP 96328-0100
Fax: 011-81-425-51-8305
Visit web site

Homeschooled Students

UMUC welcomes homeschooled applicants. All homeschooled students must demonstrate compliance with state and local education regulations. For Maryland students, the home instruction program must comply with the General Regulations of Maryland’s State Board of Education (13A.10.01).

In addition to a completed application for admission, please submit the following required documents:

  • Transcript, which includes grades, cumulative GPA, and date degree awarded
  • Brief outline describing course content and instructional materials
  • Information on the homeschooling regulations of the state where you were educated

The optional documents (listed below) can be submitted in addition to the above required documents to assist in the Admissions decision.

Optional admission documents:

  • Any nationally standardized tests scores available (e.g. SAT or ACT scores)
  • Letters of recommendation (professional and/or academic)

Please send these documents to admissions@umuc.edu with the subject line of "Homeschooled Applicant."

Note: If the Admissions department deems that the requirement above is not met, acceptable GED scores may be requested for admission purposes.

Previously Dismissed Students

If you were dismissed or suspended from another institution within the past two years for academic reasons, you may apply for admission as a provisional student. Once admitted, there are restrictions on the number of credits you may take during a semester. You must contact an advisor on the Undergraduate Advising team during your first semester at UMUC, and you must submit official transcripts of all previous college-level work by the end of your first semester.

If you are on disciplinary suspension or dismissal from any institution, you may not be admitted (or reinstated, if dismissed from UMUC) until we have reviewed the circumstances first. If you were dismissed from UMUC and you would like to be readmitted, you must first petition for reinstatement, then reapply.

If you were dismissed from UMUC for academic reasons, see the Undergraduate Catalog for information on the reinstatement process.

Reinstatement Procedures

  • Wait at least one semester before petitioning for reinstatement.
  • Have all official transcripts from previously attended colleges and universities sent to UMUC, preferably before requesting reinstatement.
  • Requests should be made through the Center for Student Success at reinstatements@umuc.edu.

Deadline for Reinstatement

  • Fall enrollment: July 15
  • Spring enrollment: November 15
  • Summer enrollment: April 15

*Students must contact the Center for Student Success prior to the deadlines for further instructions. After your petition has been reviewed, you will receive a written response. For more information regarding the reinstatement policy, visit our academic policy page. Please keep in mind that reinstatement is not guaranteed, nor can you be guaranteed reinstatement in time to register for any particular semester. Please note again that students who have not been reinstated cannot be re-admitted to the university.

International Students (non-citizens and foreign-educated students)

If you are not a U.S. citizen or if you were educated abroad, please review International Students, Admission Requirements—Undergraduate. Contact New Student Advising at 855-655-UMUC or e-mail enroll@umuc.edu for more information.

Students Seeking a Second Bachelor's Degree

At UMUC, students who have already received a bachelor's degree from UMUC or from another regionally accredited institution can broaden their education by earning a second bachelor's degree with a different major. A student must have received the first bachelor's degree to be eligible to begin a second.

Students must submit an official transcript showing that the first bachelor's degree has been awarded in order to be considered for admission to a second bachelor's degree program.  Students who have earned their first bachelor's degree at UMUC do not need to submit official transcripts, but their record needs to indicate that the first degree has been awarded.

Students may not earn a second bachelor's degree with a double major. Students may not earn a second degree in general studies and, except for the accounting degree which has a mandatory minor, may not obtain an academic minor in the second degree.

A student must have received the first bachelor's degree to be eligible to begin a second. For a second bachelor's degree, the student needs to complete at least 30 credits through UMUC after completing the first degree. The combined credit in both degrees must add up to at least 150 credits.

Students must complete all requirements for the major. If any of these requirements were satisfied in the previous degree, the remainder necessary to complete the minimum 30 credits of new courses should be satisfied with courses related to the major. For purposes of determining what major requirements apply to a given student, the applicable date is the date the student started coursework at UMUC after being admitted into the second undergraduate degree program. As with other degrees, continuous enrollment at UMUC is required. A minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all courses taken through UMUC is required for graduation.

To qualify for academic honors in a second bachelor's degree, the student must complete at least 30 new credits through UMUC with the requisite grade point average.

All students need to be aware of what is entailed in a second bachelor's degree. Before beginning work or considering nontraditional options toward a second degree, each student should consult an academic advisor. Advisors will be glad to explain the requirements for a second bachelor's degree and clarify its limitations.

High School Seniors

If you are a high school senior, you may take up to 7 credits per semester while finishing work toward your high school diploma. To qualify, you must present a transcript with a GPA of at least 3.5 (B+) in your high school academic subjects and the written recommendation of a guidance counselor. For more details, consult New Student Advising at least one month before you plan to enroll.

Students from UMUC's Graduate School

Generally, students are not eligible to enroll in courses outside of their degree programs. However, if UMUC has developed an articulation agreement between both a graduate and undergraduate school program, specific courses may apply to both degree programs. In such cases, students are eligible to cross enroll and will be charged the undergraduate rate for undergraduate courses and the graduate rate for graduate courses. Please refer to the Cross-Enrollment Policy for additional information.

Students from Other University System of Maryland Institutions

Undergraduate Students

Students who are admitted to another University System of Maryland (USM) institution and who do not wish to transfer to UMUC do not have to complete the online admissions application form.

If you wish to register at UMUC and you are currently an undergraduate student admitted to another University System of Maryland (USM) institution, you must submit a letter of permission from the department authorized to supply this document at your home institution. If you are applying to UMUC on a letter of permission for the first time, you will also need to submit UMUC's Supplemental Information Form for Students Attending UMUC on a Letter of Permission.

It is your responsibility to secure approval from your home institution. Refunds will not be considered in cases where approval is not granted after registration at UMUC. Your home institution will determine all transferability of academic work completed at UMUC.

If you wish to transfer to UMUC, you must first withdraw from your home institution. Then, submit a UMUC application and pay the nonrefundable application fee.

Graduate Students

If you are enrolled in a graduate school in another USM institution (whether or not you are seeking a degree) but want to take undergraduate courses, you should either submit a letter of permission from your department or complete a Notification of Registration with University of Maryland University College form. You will, however, be charged graduate tuition unless you resign from graduate school and are admitted to our undergraduate program. To resume graduate studies, you would then have to reapply to the graduate school.

Senior Citizens (Golden ID program)

At late registration, participants in the Golden Identification (GID) program may register for up to 7 credits each semester—on a space-available basis-without paying tuition. The late registration fee is waived, but you must pay any other fees (e. g., EXCEL fees).

To qualify, you must meet these requirements:

  • Be a resident of Maryland.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident.
  • Be 60 years old by the beginning date of the semester for which you are applying.
  • Not be employed more than 20 hours a week
  • Meet all requirements for admission.

Mail, fax, touch-tone and online registration are not available for Golden ID students, who must register in person. Please consult Important Dates or contact the site where you plan to register to determine the exact dates of late registration.

The Golden ID eligibility form must accompany the application for admission. Also, you should be aware that you must be certified each semester for Golden ID benefits. To request an application and a Golden ID eligibility form, contact new student advising.

Request Info

Apply Now

Or call 855-655-UMUC (8682) to speak directly with an advisor.

Video: Setting a Positive Example for His Children

UMUC alumnus Marquette Rogers explains why becoming a parent provided the ultimate motivation to finish his degree.