Policy 181.20 - Faculty Workload
ORIGINATOR: Provost and Chief Academic Officer
SUBJECT: Faculty Workload
This Policy is in accordance with the University System of Maryland Policy on Faculty Workload and Responsibilities (Policy II-1.25) approved by the Board of Regents on July 9, 1999. The workload expectations for faculty are as follows:
- Collegiate Faculty
- The standard instructional load for full-time Collegiate Faculty (Collegiate Instructors, Collegiate Assistant Professors, Collegiate Associate Professors, and Collegiate Professors) appointed by UMUC-Adelphi with a 12 month service period is 30 semester hours per academic year. The standard instructional load for full-time Collegiate Faculty appointed by UMUC-Adelphi with a 9-month service period is 24 semester hours during the term of the contract.
- The standard instructional load for full-time Collegiate Faculty appointed by UMUC-Europe and UMUC-Asia with a 12 month service period is 27 semester hours per academic year. The standard instructional load for full-time Collegiate Faculty appointed by UMUC-Asia with a 10-month service period is 24 semester hours during the term of the contract.
- The standard instructional load for part-time Collegiate Faculty shall be based upon the appropriate full-time load and proportional to their part-time status for that service period.
- Instructional load may vary based upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, administrative responsibilities, class size, development of new courses, modality of instruction, special assignments, level of instruction, discipline, and accreditation requirements.
- Adjunct Faculty
The workload for Adjunct Faculty (Adjunct Instructors, Adjunct Assistant Professors, Adjunct Associate Professors, and Adjunct Professors) may not exceed 18 semester hours per academic year.
Full-time Librarians (Librarians I, II, III, and IV) are expected to work the hours may be required to perform their functions properly.
- Professor of the Practice
Professors of the Practice will negotiate their workload with their appropriate academic administrator. The workload may vary depending upon the Professor of the Practice's current involvement with professional and scholarly activities.
- No faculty member shall teach more than 45 semester hours during any given academic year.