The UMUC Arts Program invites entries for the Maryland High School Juried Art Exhibition, which will run from February 3 to May 12, 2019, in the Arts Program Gallery. The statewide competition will enable students to enhance their classroom learning and provide students and teachers an opportunity to work together to showcase creative works of the highest quality.
The competition is open to all Maryland state high school students. Each school may submit a maximum of five entries, from five different student artists. For each of these student artists, one original work of art in painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, fiber, glass, ceramics, wood, metal, photography, graphic design, or mixed media may be submitted. All entries must be submitted with a high-quality image, which the jurors will use to select roughly 45 works from throughout Maryland for the exhibition.
Jurors for the Exhibition
- Joan Bevelaqua, Artist and Collegiate Professor, UMUC
- Christopher Harrington, Artist and Chair, Department of Fine Arts, University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Preston Sampson, Artist
Submission Deadline: November 15, 2018
Submission Fee: FREE
An opening reception for the exhibition will be held on Sunday, February 17, 2019. Awards will be presented to the first-, second-, and third-place winners (only one award winner per school). In addition, the artwork of the first-place award winner will be featured on a poster, which will be distributed to as many Maryland schools as possible. The poster will also be featured on the UMUC Arts Program website, along with pictures of the student and his or her teacher. An image of the first-place artwork will appear on the exhibition brochure and invitation.
- $5,000 cash award ($1,000 to the student, $4,000 to the school arts program or to the general operating fund if there is no arts program)
- Poster of the award-winning artwork distributed to Maryland schools
- $2,500 cash award ($500 to the student, $2,000 to the school)
- $1,000 cash award ($250 to the student, $750 to the school)
Fourth- and Fifth-Place Awards (Honorable Mention)
- Red ribbon recognition on the artwork during the run of the exhibition
Sunday, February 17, 2019
The opening reception is free and open to the community. Award winners and their teachers are expected to attend to receive their recognition. School principals and superintendents are invited as well. The first-place award winner will address the audience to explain his or her work.
Schedule and Deadlines
Submission Deadline: November 15, 2018
Selection of Artists: November 18–24, 2018
Notification to Artists: November 24, 2018
Artwork Received by UMUC: December 12, 2018
Exhibition Opens: February 3, 2019
Opening Reception: February 17, 2019
Exhibition Closes: May 12, 2019
Artwork Pickup: May 13–20, 2019
Terms and Conditions
- Students must be enrolled in a Maryland high school at the time of submission and may submit one original work of art in painting, sculpture, drawing, printmaking, fiber, glass, ceramics, wood, metal, photography, graphic design, or mixed media.
- All work submitted must be original (no reproductions) and must have been completed between 2017 and 2018.
- Each school may submit a maximum of five entries (one per student).
- All entries must be submitted electronically by the school, with only one image per entry.
- Images must be labeled with the artist's last name and title of the work. (Use as many characters as you can.)
- Electronic application submissions constitute an agreement between the artist, school, and UMUC, and the artist declares that all information is correct.
- Artists must adhere to UMUC's schedule.
- Artists are responsible for getting the works to the Arts Program at UMUC, 3501 University Boulevard East, Adelphi, MD 20783.
- Works that are altered from the original submitted image will not be accepted.
- Works cannot be removed until the end of the exhibition.
- All works must be suitably prepared for installation. The curator reserves the right to deny entry if any work is deemed unsuitable for display or too difficult to install.
- All selected artists will be notified electronically.
For more information about the Maryland High School Juried Art Exhibition, call 301-985-7937 or e-mail Eric Key at email@example.com.