The nomination period for the prestigious Bylee Massey Memorial Award is now open and continues through 5 p.m. eastern time on Friday, October 26, 2018. The award is given annually to a member of the faculty, staff, or student body who has gone "above and beyond" and whose volunteer efforts directly benefit University of Maryland University College students or programs. Please consider nominating a deserving member of the UMUC community for this award.
About the Award
The Bylee Massey award was created in part through the generosity of the Herman Maril Foundation to honor Bylee Massey, wife of former UMUC President T. Benjamin Massey, PhD (1978—98). Bylee Massey founded the university’s Maryland Artist Collection. She did so without funding or a staff. Her innovative idea and spirit drove the creation of the collection.
In honor of Ms. Massey's spirit of giving with utmost dignity and grace, this annual award recognizes a member of the UMUC community (faculty, staff, or student) who has made a significant contribution that directly benefits UMUC and who went "above and beyond" in volunteer efforts for a particular university initiative, project, or event.
To be eligible, candidates must be a current UMUC faculty or staff member or a student in good academic standing and and must have
- Gone "above and beyond" during volunteer efforts, outside of normal responsibilities or assigned duties, for a university project or event
- Demonstrated passion and spirit for the core values and mission of UMUC through creative endeavors that advance the university
- Made a significant contribution in support of the UMUC community that had a lasting impact on the university through personal commitment and innovation
- Identified opportunities, outside of one's job function or elected position, to shape the culture and direction of UMUC into the future
Nomination Procedures and Guidelines
- A Nomination Application and a letter of no more than two pages must be submitted to ByleeMasseyAward@umuc.edu and include the following:
- the name of the nominee
- the case for the nominee. Be specific as to why the nominee deserves the award and include a description of the nominee's contributions.
- no more than two pages describing the nominee's contribution to the university
- the name and contact information of the nominator
- Nominations must be received on or before 5 p.m. eastern time, Friday, October 26, 2018.
- Nominations are reviewed by a committee composed of UMUC staff and a representative of the Herman Maril Foundation. The committee recommendations are then presented to the university president.
The Bylee Massey Memorial Award is presented during the Adelphi Service and Achievement Awards Ceremony in November. The recipient will receive both a monetary award of $1,000 and a decorative plaque. Members of the Maril family are invited to formally make the award presentation. A plaque is also hung in the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center at UMUC to recognize the award recipients.