The 1098-T form summarizes the amount billed to you by UMUC within the calendar year (January 1 - December 31) and can be obtained electronically or in hard copy.
- How do I obtain an electronic copy of my 1098-T?
- What are the benefits to obtaining the 1098-T electronically?
- When will I receive my 1098-T?
- Will I receive a paper copy of my 1098-T?
- Why did I not receive a 1098-T?
- Who do I contact for assistance with my 1098-T?
- Who do I contact if I have questions/issues regarding the information in my 1098-T?
1. How do I obtain an electronic copy of my 1098-T? [Top]
To receive the 1098-T statement electronically, you must provide consent via the Educational Computer System (ECSI) Electronic Consent Application webpage. You will need your Student ID Number, Social Security Number, and Email address, to which you receive UMUC correspondence, when submitting the consent form. If you previously consented to receive an Electronic 1098-T form from UMUC, you do not have to opt-in again unless you have since changed your consent.
Note: If you previously consented to receive an electronic 1098-T form from UMUC, you do NOT need to opt-in again unless you later opted out.
2. What are the benefits to obtaining the 1098-T electronically? [Top]
- A safe and secure location for faster access to your 1098-T.
- Unlimited access to view and print your 1098-T.
- Access to your past 1098-T tax statements from 2010-2015.
- Customer support via a toll-free phone number and live online chat beginning January 31, 2017.
3. When will I receive my 1098-T? [Top]
The hard copy of the 1098-T will be postmarked by January 31. Electronic copies of the 1098-T tax document will be ready on or before January 31. Instructions on how to access the document electronically will be submitted via email.
4. Will I receive a paper copy of my 1098-T? [Top]
You will not receive a 1098-T for the following cases:
- You received scholarships, grants or tuition assistance (including formal billing arrangements with employers, government agencies, etc.) that exceeded or equaled the amount you were billed.
- You attended UMUC within the calendar year; however, you enrolled and were billed in the previous calendar year.
- You did not attend classes during the calendar year.
- We do not have a valid United States mailing address on file for you.
- You are classified as a non-resident alien.
- Your billed amounts consisted of non-credit courses only.
6. Who do I contact for assistance with my 1098-T? [Top]
If you need assistance with your 1098-T form, please contact Heartland ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 or visit their website.
7. Who do I contact if I have questions/issues regarding the information in my 1098-T? [Top]
If you have issues regarding the information contained in your 1098-T, please contact the office of Student Accounts (OSA) at 1 800-888-UMUC (8682) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: UMUC sends tax documents in compliance with IRS guidelines; however, we do not provide tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor or accountant regarding your specific situation.