Get Comfortable with Your Online Learning Environment
Nothing is more important than giving our students the best learning experience possible. Whether you are new to online classes or are a seasoned pro, you'll find everything you need to participate and learn in UMUC's online classroom environment.
Your online classroom will be available for you to access one week before the first day of classes. At that time, we encourage you to log in to your course and familiarize yourself with the layout of your classroom.
This is an important first step that will help you get comfortable with the online learning environment, allow you to be focused entirely on your coursework once classes have started, and give you the confidence to succeed from your first day.
It also allows you the opportunity to download, print, and begin reading through your syllabus and other materials in advance and to post an introduction to your instructor and peers.
If your online classroom isn't available yet, or you have questions about how to find and use specific features, we encourage you to review the following video resources which we've provided to give you a head start in becoming a classroom pro.
Online Classroom Video Resources
Familiarize yourself with the NavBar, Course Homepage, Calendar, and Minibar.
Learn how to use the Chat, Pager, Roster, and Groups functions to communicate with your instructor and fellow students.
Chat is a real-time text-based collaboration tool that facilitates one-on-one or group discussions online.
The Roster displays and enables direct contact with everyone in the course, including students, instructors, and teaching assistants.
Locate and use the online tools that you will need to access for your coursework.
Course Content includes faculty contact information, learning resources, readings, and other materials that are accessed during the course.
The Assignments tab is what you use to submit coursework to your instructor for grading or consideration.
This is a centralized location that your instructor may use to embed quizzes or exams within your course.
Discover the tools you can use to check on your progress throughout the semester.
Your instructor may employ this tool that allows you to evaluate your comprehension and retention of various content modules in your class.
This tool enables the instructor to incorporate student surveys into the course, which can be used in a variety of ways.
Plan to Succeed
They say we never plan to fail, we only fail to plan. A great way to put your best foot forward is to establish a regular routine for studying.
Here are a few tips for student success:
- Set aside a fixed number of hours each week for studies and stick to the schedule.
- Have an open mind and a positive attitude toward your class and your classmates.
- Read the News/Class Announcements first each time you log in to the classroom.
- Log in at the same time every day to establish a rhythm.
- Leverage your peers as a source of information and guidance.
- Contact your professor with questions. Never hesitate to reach out for clarification or explanation on course content, expectations or for individual feedback
Tips on Using UMUC Resources and Tools
As a new student, you are encouraged to avail yourself to the resources and tools we provide to make your studies as productive as possible.
We suggest you
- Browse UMUC's resources for help so you know where to turn when the need arises. Many of them are listed in My Team.
- Familiarize yourself with academic resources like math and statistical services or tutoring and mentoring that may be available through your course.
- Bookmark these resources, and check back each semester for updates.