UMUC understands that you may encounter unexpected life events that can impact your academic pursuits. We want to make sure any bumps in the road don't become roadblocks to your success. Follow these guidelines to help mitigate the fallout from any such circumstances.
- Extensions: If you think you may need an extension on an assignment, it’s important to ask your instructor ahead of time. Granting an extension request is up to each instructor, and s/he may require you to provide documentation. If you miss an assignment, you may be able to complete an alternate one. If you have not been in touch with your instructor, however, any assignments submitted late may not be accepted, and your grade may be reduced as a result. Ongoing communication with your instructor is critical. They cannot help you if they do not know.
- Drop/withdrawal: If you need to drop or withdraw from a course, there are guidelines and deadlines that you will need to follow per UMUC policy. If there are extenuating circumstances for exceptions to the policy regarding refunds for a course drop or withdrawal, you may file a request for exemption form. You will want to review the frequently asked questions before making your decision to drop or withdraw from a course.
- Incomplete: An Incomplete grading option is only available to students who have completed at least 60 percent of the work in the course with a grade of C or better, and a student must request an Incomplete option from his or her instructor before the end of the course. Review UMUC's policy on incomplete grades for more details.
- Personal crisis: If you are experiencing a serious crisis, the Response Emergency Assessment Crisis Team is here to help.
- Grievances: If you wish to resolve conflicts with UMUC faculty or staff, academic departments, or administrative units, follow the student grievance procedures.
Students needing accommodation because of a disability should work with our Office of Accessibility Services.
Accommodations may take many forms and generally can be grouped into three broad categories:
- Teaching and learning
- Demonstrating knowledge
- Meeting academic requirements
Find answers to some frequently asked questions about accessibility.
UMUC is committed to ensuring equal access and prohibits discrimination. Please review the University’s nondiscrimination statement.
Students who miss a course session because of an observance of their religious beliefs shall not be penalized. See UMUC’s policy on religious observances for more information.
Keep Informed During an Emergency: Register for MyAlerts
MyAlerts, UMUC’s emergency communication system will automatically send you a text message or e-mail to keep you informed of unexpected local and national alerts, as well as closings due to emergency situations and severe weather.
Once you register, MyAlerts delivers emergency alerts and notifications to your cell phone or email. You’ll receive
- Weather and emergency alerts for all UMUC locations
- Instructions, site closings and contact information
For more information or to register, visit MyAlerts.