Student LoginFaculty Login

Frequently Asked Questions About the FED Program for Employees

About UMUC

What does "regionally accredited" mean?

Accreditation denotes an organization of institutional quality. Once an organization opens itself to outside examination, a regional or national accrediting body reviews specific standards and criteria and offers the institution opportunities for self-improvement.

University of Maryland University College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents and certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.


How do I get started?

Visit the FED Program landing page for information on UMUC and instructions on applying for admission and enrolling in classes. You can also visit the main UMUC site at to view a complete list of programs.

If you have any questions, contact a UMUC advisor at

Who can guide me through the application if I have problems completing it?

An advisor can walk you through the admissions process and online application. Just give us a call at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

Am I eligible for a waiver of the application fee?

If you are a current Federal government civil employee or you are the spouse or dependent of a member of a Federal employee who lives outside the state of the Maryland, you may be eligible for a waiver of the application fee. This waiver applies to civil Federal government employees only. Contact an advisor for details at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

How do I get my application fee waived?

  • Choose U.S. Federal Government as the corporate sponsor on the application form.
  • E-mail Corporate Learning Solutions at and mention that you are a Federal employee or you are the spouse or dependent of a member of the member of a Federal employee after you complete the application.
  • Send us documentation of Federal employment. Spouses and dependents will need to provide their relationship to the employee so UMUC can verify eligibility.
  • Include your UMUC ID number if you have already received it.

What are the admission requirements?

Note: If you previously applied to UMUC but have not enrolled in courses in two years, you must reapply to UMUC.

The Undergraduate School

Most students who have a U.S. high school diploma or its equivalent may be admitted to UMUC. No test scores are required. If you have not completed 24 credits of college-level coursework, you must submit high school transcripts at the time of admission.

College transcripts are not required for admission, however if you plan to earn a degree at UMUC, you must make sure that official transcripts have been sent from each institution you previously attended by the end of your second semester.

The Graduate School

To be admitted to a graduate certificate or master's degree program, you must have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited degree-granting university or college. An official transcript must be received from your previous institution for admission.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores are not required. Depending on your chosen program, you may be required to fulfill other requirements and provide documentation before an admission decision can be made (see individual program descriptions for more details).

Admission requirements for the Doctor of Management program are provided at

International Students

If you are not a U.S. citizen or if you were educated abroad, you may need to prove English language skills and document equivalency to a U.S. high school or college education. Review International Students, Admission Requirements—Undergraduate or International Students, Admission Requirements—Graduate for details.

Transfer Credit

Will my previous coursework be transferred to UMUC?

UMUC has very flexible transfer policies for undergraduate coursework. To get an estimate of how your previous coursework will transfer, submit unofficial copies of your transcript(s) to for a tentative evaluation. Be sure to indicate the major (and minor, if applicable) you are interested in. Tentative evaluations take up to 72 business hours to complete.

You can also use UMUC's Transfer Evaluation System to determine if credits earned at another institution may transfer to UMUC.

UMUC accepts up to 6 credits of graduate coursework from regionally accredited universities. (Please note: No credits will be transferred from a completed undergraduate or graduate degree.) UMUC also accepts up to 90 credits from a regionally accredited four-year institution and up to 70 credits from a regionally accredited two-year institution toward an undergraduate degree.

I took courses at a community college. Will I be able to transfer those credits?

UMUC accepts up to 70 credits in community college coursework, and our relationships with more than 90 community colleges around the country make the transfer process easy.

You can also use UMUC's Transfer Evaluation System to determine if credits earned at another institution may transfer to UMUC.

Can I transfer credits for coursework and apply credit for innovative learning options like prior learning?

Yes. UMUC accepts up to 90 undergraduate credits from all sources combined—this includes coursework taken at other institutions, credit for military education and training, vocational and technical training, professional study, prior learning, and credit by examination. Browse sources of credit for details and a complete list of credit options.

Graduate credit is not awarded for prior learning.

Are the courses taken at UMUC also transferable to other major universities?

UMUC is regionally accredited, so credits earned at UMUC are very portable. However, you will need to check with each university about its transfer credits policy.


How do I enroll in courses?

Once you have received your student ID number, you can enroll in classes online through MyUMUC. You can search the class listings in MyUMUC or the online schedule of classes. Tuition is due upon enrollment.

Please note UMUC's registration, drop, and withdrawal deadlines.

How do I purchase books?

You can find and order books through MBS Direct.You should purchase your books at least two weeks before your course starts to be sure that you will receive them on time. Required text and materials are listed in the online course listings.

Tuition Discount

Am I eligible for the discount?

If you are a current Federal government civil employee, spouse, or legal dependent and live outside of the state of Maryland, you may be eligible for a discount on all undergraduate programs and most graduate programs. This discount applies to civil Federal government employees only and does not apply to members of the military or uniformed services. The tuition discount does not apply toward the MBA, MS in Data Analytics, MS in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigation, graduate cyber security certificate programs, executive programs, or doctoral programs.

I live in Maryland. Do I qualify for an in-state tuition discount?

No. UMUC offers a tuition discount only on out-of-state tuition. As an in-state student, you are already receiving the lowest possible rate offered by the state of Maryland.

View UMUC's tuition rates for more details on our affordable in-state rates.

How do I receive the tuition discount?

  • Send an e-mail to Corporate Learning Solutions (CLS) at, and mention that you are a Federal Government employee, spouse, or dependent after you complete the application.
  • Send documentation of Federal employment and (for spouses and dependents) relationships to the employee to or fax it to 301-985-7514, so UMUC can verify your eligibility.
  • Include your UMUC ID number, if you have already received it.

I am active-duty military. Do I qualify for the tuition discount or the application fee waiver through the FED Program?

No. Active-duty military are not considered Federal employees for purposes of the FED Program. Therefore, active-duty military and their spouses and dependents are not eligible for the tuition discount or application fee waiver. As active-duty military, you are eligible for the military tuition rate, which is lower than the discounted out-of-state tuition rate. Our military advisors can help you understand your military benefits and provide additional information. Contact Military and Veterans Advising at for assistance.

I am a veteran. Am I able to use my veteran benefits? Do I qualify for the tuition discount through the FED Program?

Veterans education benefits can be used at UMUC. If you are a civil federal employee receiving the out-of-state tuition rate, you may be eligible for the 25% discount upon verification of your employment. Our veterans advisors can help you understand how the discount works in conjunction with your veterans benefits. Contact Military and Veterans Advising at for assistance.


How do I pay UMUC?

You can pay online by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) or by e-check via MyUMUC.

Payments to UMUC may also be made by cash at the Academic Center at Largo, by check, or by money order. Checks or money orders should be made payable to University of Maryland University College and marked to the attention of Student Accounts.

If you qualify, you may enroll in the interest-free monthly payment plan, which permits you to pay your tuition over the course of several months or the full semester, rather than in one lump sum. There are no finance charges, just a low nonrefundable enrollment fee.

Financial aid is also available in addition to credit, cash, and payment plans. Learn more about how to apply for financial aid.

Where can I find information about Federal Student Loan Repayment Program?

The Federal Student Loan Repayment Program permits agencies to repay Federally insured student loans as a recruitment or retention incentive for candidates or current employees of the agency. Each agency has its own student loan repayment programs to attract or retain highly qualified employees.

For general information, review OPM's Pay and Leave information. You will have to speak to the appropriate contact within your agency for information on how your agency implements the plan.

What is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, and do I qualify?

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full-time by certain public service employers.

Visit Public Service Loan Forgiveness for more information.

Course Formats

Does UMUC offer online and on-site courses?

UMUC offers courses entirely online and in a hybrid format that combines online study with on-site class meetings. Select courses are also offered in an entirely on-site format. Hybrid and on-site courses are primarily held in classroom locations in Virginia, D.C., and Maryland.

I am used to a classroom lecture setting. How will this compare to online classes?

UMUC's online courses are flexible, which means you do not have to log into the class at a particular time. In class, your instructor may post videos, notes, or provide presentations to explain course concepts. You will also interact with your instructor and your classmates through online discussions. Learn more about our learning experience online.

Are the online courses self-paced?

No. Although you can access the class and materials at any time that is convenient for you, you must follow the course schedule and submit assignments by their due dates.

Program Information

Is there a time period in which you must complete a bachelor's or master's degree program?

UMUC credits do not expire on the undergraduate level. Therefore, there is no time limit to complete an undergraduate degree at UMUC, unless that particular degree is phased out. If this occurs, the undergraduate school will communicate any time limits to complete these programs.

Most graduate degrees and certificates must be completed within seven consecutive years. The MBA must be completed within five years. Any transfer credit must have been completed within the five- or seven-year time frame applied toward the degree or certificate program.

I am interested in a master's degree program, however my bachelor's degree is in a different subject area. Will that be held against me in the application process?

At UMUC, we welcome and encourage students from various undergraduate programs to apply to our graduate programs. However, depending on which graduate program you choose, you may have to meet certain prerequisites prior to starting your coursework. Please contact an advisor at 855-655-UMUC (8682) for more information.

Register Now to Attend
a Webinar

  • Wednesday, November 16, 2016
    2–3 p.m. | Register
  • Tuesday, December 20, 2016
    10–11 a.m. | Register
  • Wednesday, January 18, 2017
    noon–1 p.m. | Register
  • Thursday, February 16, 2017
    10–11 a.m. | Register

Did You Know?

Federal employees from 42 states and more than 100 agencies have taken part in the FED Program.

Contact Us

Call: 844-UMUC-FED

UMUC Webinar for Federal Employees

July 22, 2015

Building a Culture for Employee Engagement

May 11, 2016

Download the Presentation

* On out-of-state tuition for most programs. The tuition discount will not be applied to the following graduate programs and related courses: Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Data Analytics, Master of Science in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigation, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management and Policy, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Technology, graduate certificates in Cybersecurity Management and Policy, Cybersecurity Technology, Foundations in Business Analytics, and Information Assurance, and all doctoral programs and specializations. The tuition for students who meet the criteria for Maryland residency will be the applicable in-state rate. Tuition for active-duty military, members of the Selected Reserves, National Guard, and the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the spouses and dependents of these student groups will be the applicable military rate. If you are a student using Post 9/11 benefits, please contact an advisor at 800-939-UMUC (8682) to determine if you can apply both benefits.

** View gainful employment disclosures for certificates.