Procedure for Late Grade Changes

Late Grade Changes

Generally, no grade changes are allowed after four months, including the extension of the original deadline for an Incomplete or the change of an "I" that has automatically become an "F" because the work was not submitted by the original deadline date. Faculty should set deadlines for work completion that allow time for grading final work and submission of the final grade.

Submission of Late Grade Change

If a late grade change results from an extension of an Incomplete beyond the original deadline, the extension must be requested by the student prior to the original deadline. The faculty member retains the right to support or deny that request and should not support it except in extraordinary circumstances.

The grade change must be submitted by the faculty member through the electronic grade change request form accessed via the grade roster.

The change must be accompanied by a written explanation of the reason for the late submission, and appropriate documentation must be attached to the request. However, the program chair should be informed of the late submission prior to submitting the request.

Graduate students may not be granted an Incomplete deadline that is beyond four months from the last day of the semester in which the student attempted the course.

For undergraduate students only, any requests for extensions of the Incomplete deadline beyond four months from the last day of the semester require special approval by the Dean's Office. This procedure applies only in extraordinary cases with documented rationale.

The change request will be forwarded to the Associate Dean who has the option to approve, deny or request further documentation. If the Associate Dean has already approved the request in advance, that email should be attached.

If approved, the change will be automatically forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for processing.