UMUC closed on 3/21

Due to inclement weather, UMUC Maryland and Quantico locations are closed on 3/21 and all on-site classes are cancelled. Online classes are not affected. For updates, visit or call 301-985-SNOW.

Find out how you can take courses at another institution as a University of Maryland University College student with approved documentation and learn how it may affect your financial aid status.

FAQs: Consortium Agreement

What is a consortium agreement? +

A consortium agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. It also certifies only one of the two institutions can administer your Title IV and state financial aid.

Why do I have to complete a consortium agreement contract? +

You need to complete a consortium agreement to confirm you have met the requirements to receive Title IV and state financial aid to help pay for your host school courses.

How long does it take to complete the consortium agreement process? +

After the Financial Aid Office receives all of your required documents (Permission to Enroll form, consortium agreement contract, and host class schedule), it takes approximately two weeks for processing.

Am I allowed to take any course I want at the host institution as part of the consortium agreement? +

No. You are only allowed to take courses that will apply to your degree as determined by UMUC and your approved Permission to Enroll form.

Do I need to provide the UMUC Financial Aid Office with a copy of my Permission to Enroll form? +

No. After you have completed it and sent it to your academic advisor, it will then be forwarded to the Financial Aid Office.

Am I responsible for paying tuition and fees at the consortium host institution? +

Yes. If you do not receive your refund in time to pay for your classes at the host institution, it will be your responsibility to pay all charges incurred at the host institution.

What happens if I drop or withdraw from some or all of my courses at the consortium host institution? +

You may lose eligibility for some or possibly all of your financial aid. You should consult the UMUC Financial Aid Office if you are planning to drop or withdraw from classes.

What happens if the UMUC Financial Aid Office does not receive my final grades from the consortium host institution? +

We will not be able to confirm that you have completed the course(s) and will be required to return the funds to the federal government.

If I am not a degree-seeking student at UMUC, can I receive financial aid at the consortium host institution? +

No. Federal regulations state that a student must be seeking a degree to obtain financial aid.

If I am enrolled in at least 6 credits at UMUC, do I still need to complete a consortium agreement contract? +

Yes, because you may be entitled to receive additional financial aid based on your combined credits at both schools.