University of Maryland University College administers more than 100 scholarships through a universal application scholarship process to help students like you achieve your education goals. If you meet the requirements for one or more of these scholarships, the Office of Financial Aid may invite you to apply for a chance to be awarded up to $2,000 per academic year.
About UMUC Universal Application Scholarships
UMUC offers a pool of more than 100 scholarships to current UMUC students through the universal application scholarship process. Each one of these scholarships—administered by the UMUC Office of Financial Aid—has its own set of unique eligibility criteria, which could take into account GPA, financial need, credits earned, and a host of other categories. If you're eligible for one or more of the universal application scholarships, the Office of Financial Aid will prompt you to apply. Award amounts for the individual scholarships in this pool may vary, but the maximum total amount you can receive from universal application scholarships is $2,000 per academic year.
Please note: Universal application scholarships differ from other specially designated scholarships at UMUC such as the Maryland Completion Scholarship or the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program, which have special eligibility criteria and/or a different application process.
Kicking Off the Universal Application Scholarship Process
To begin the universal application process to seek scholarships for the following academic year, you must first do the following:
- Be admitted to UMUC
- Have earned 15 undergraduate credits or 9 graduate credits at UMUC
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA
It's important to submit your FAFSA early each year. Many of the scholarships available through the universal application process can be renewed annually if you continue to maintain your eligibility requirements. Plus, you could be considered for other universal application scholarships in future years.
How the Award Process Works
If you meet the criteria above, the Office of Financial Aid will help you through the rest of the steps in this process.
- Wait for an invitation in early spring: The Office of Financial Aid will send you an e-mail and a notification in the "To Do List" in the MyUMUC student portal, inviting you to fill out the universal application.
- Submit the application as soon as possible: Scholarship awards for the upcoming academic year are based on funding availability, so complete the universal application as soon as you can. You must submit the application prior to July 15.
- Wait for an award notification in midsummer: The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your scholarship award status via e-mail and through a notification in the MyUMUC "To Do List." You will receive a notification whether you are matched to one or more scholarships or do not receive a scholarship.
Awarding of 2018–2019 scholarships will begin as early as July 15. You must meet the eligibility requirements and take the outlined steps above each year to renew your existing scholarships (if funding is available) and be considered for other universal application scholarships.