Learn how to make teams run smoothly and productively by pursuing an undergraduate certificate in project management.
The project management certificate program at University of Maryland University College can help prepare you for supervisory and midlevel management positions that involve project management and team management. If you are a project manager or project team member or otherwise assigned to project teams within a private- or public-sector organization, this certificate program can help you upgrade your skills with theoretical and practical knowledge to advance to a higher level.
About the Project Management Undergraduate Certificate
In project management courses, you'll learn to bring a project full cycle from development to completion. You'll also work with a variety of tools designed specifically for project management and work hands-on with federal contracts to become familiar with processes and issues.
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Manage a project through all phases of the project's life cycle
- Develop and implement plans to manage information systems projects, using Microsoft Project to develop schedules and related components
- Apply agile practices to manage complex projects with responsiveness and adaptability
- Use a proven problem-solving framework to generate potential solutions for effective decision making
- Manage the federal contracting process by adequately planning, documenting needs in writing, developing evaluation criteria, and reviewing and assessing contractor performance
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Complete a personality assessment that helps provide insight into team members' strengths and weaknesses
- Develop a project focused on the project initiation and planning phases of the project life cycle by applying principles, processes, and practices of project management
- Execute a project that involves realistic decision making scenarios and provides experience in managing the variables routinely encountered in project management
Project Management Undergraduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- BMGT 487
- BMGT 488
- IFSM 438
- IFSM 441
- Two supporting electives chosen from the following:
- BMGT 317
- BMGT 339
- BMGT 365
- BMGT 484
- IFSM 300
- To pursue a certificate program, you must be admitted as a UMUC student.
- You must complete all undergraduate certificate coursework within two years of enrolling in your first certificate course.
- You are responsible for notifying UMUC of your intention to complete certificate work before completion of your last course.
- You can pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate, but you must apply for a certificate before you are awarded the bachelor’s degree.
- If you apply for your certificate after your degree has been awarded, you may be required to complete additional coursework for the certificate. Contact your academic advisor for more information.
- You may not use the same course toward completion of more than one certificate. In cases where the same course is required for two certificates, you must replace that course with an approved substitute for the second certificate.
- No more than half of the total credits for any certificate can be earned through credit by examination, Prior Learning portfolio credit, internship/Workplace Learning credit, or transfer credit from other schools.
- Certificates consisting primarily of upper-level coursework may assume prior study in that area. Check prerequisites for certificate courses. Prerequisites for certificate courses can be satisfied by coursework, credit by examination, or Prior Learning portfolio credit, under current policies for such credit.
- At least half of the total credits for any certificate must be earned through graded coursework.
- You must complete all required coursework for the certificate with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all courses for an undergraduate certificate. Certificate courses cannot be taken pass/fail.
Apply Your Certificate Credits Toward a Degree
Courses in this certificate can also be applied toward
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Chief executive officer
- Program manager
- Vice president
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Cartier International
- Discovery Channel
- Hilton Worldwide
- University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health