Master of Science in Information Technology: Telecommunications Management
Telecommunications Management Specialization
The Telecommunications Management specialization is designed to provide the technical knowledge and management skills needed to plan, acquire, operate, and evaluate telecommunication systems. This specialization emphasizes critical management concepts, such as the structure and environment of the telecommunications industry, strategic planning, financial management, and quality improvement.
The Master of Science program in Information Technology serves careers at the entry, mid-, or upper-level positions, depending upon the prior level of experience of the candidate.
- Telecommunication System Development and Deployment Specialist
- Network Security Manager
- Network Manager and Designer for local and wide area, wired and wireless systems
- Information Systems Development and Deployment
- Telecommunication System Business Manager
- Federal, State, and Local Government Telecommunication Managers and Contractors
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- ITEC 610 Information Technology Foundations (3)
- ITEC 625 Computer Systems Architecture (3)
- ITEC 626 Information Systems Infrastructure (3)
- ITEC 630 Information Systems Analysis, Modeling, and Design (3)
- ITEC 640 Information Technology Project Management (3)
- ITEC 610 must be taken as one of the first two courses.
- Students must complete 6 credits of core coursework before beginning specialization coursework.
- Students must complete 27 credits of program coursework before taking TLMN 670.
Telecommunications Management (TLMN) Specialization
- TLMN 602 Telecommunications Industry: Structure and Environment (3)
- TLMN 623 Telecommunications Networks (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 625)
- TLMN 630 Satellite Communication Systems (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 625)
- TLMN 641 Network Management and Design (3)
- TLMN 645 Wireless Telecommunications Systems (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 625)
- INFA 620 Network and Internet Security (3) (Prerequisite: ITEC 625)
TLMN 670 Capstone Course in Telecommunications (3)
Note: TLMN 670 is not offered during the summer term
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Professional Science Master's Recognized in Washington Post
UMUC's Professional Science Master's degrees were recognized by the Washington Post for helping students pair scientific know-how with business savvy. Read the article to learn about how UMUC's capstone projects help our students stand out in the job market.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.