The recent rapid growth of distance education—and e-learning—in both public and private education, as well as in the training sectors, has created an enormous demand for qualified professionals. Get the comprehensive, practical knowledge you need to lead the distance education enterprise within educational, business, government, and non-profit organizations.
Overview of Specializations
This program offers two specializations:
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Develop and communicate a mission and vision for the implementation of distance education within an organization
- Function effectively as leader, manager and team member within a distance education or training organization
- Develop strategic goals and business plans for distance education within an organization
- Design, implement, and assess the necessary support services for a distance education program
Graduates will develop competencies in the following areas within the distance education field:
- Organizational and management processes
- Leadership and change management
- Information technology
- Business development, strategic action planning, problem solving, ethics, and social responsibility
The curriculum requires 36 credits of coursework and is divided into 15 credits of required program core coursework, and 21 credits of required coursework, including a 3-credit capstone course, from one of the program specializations.
Dual Degree Options
Master of Distance Education and E-Learning/Master of Business Administration
If you began this program prior to fall 2016 and maintained continuous enrollment, you may be able to add the Master of Business Administration and earn a dual degree. You must complete all requirements for the first degree before beginning the MBA. Please contact an advisor at 800-888-UMUC (8682) to establish a plan for completing the dual degree.
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study.
- DMBA 610 Ethical Leadership in Organizations and Society (6)
- DMBA 620 Effective Financial and Operational Decision Making (6)
- DMBA 630 Marketing and Strategy Management in the Global Marketplace (6)
The Master of Distance Education and E-learning (MDE) program is designed for working adults who want to complete their degree without interrupting their careers, and are keen on enhancing their professional skills and competencies within or moving into the distance education field. Students must have a basic level of computer literacy and be fluent in English.
UMUC's Master of Distance Education and E-Learning is recognized by the European Foundation for Management Development—Technology-Enhanced Learning (EFMD CEL), Swiss Centre for Innovations in Learning, University of St. Gallen, Dufourstrasse 40a, St. Gallen CH-9000, Switzerland.
EFMD is a global organization devoted to the continuous improvement of management development. UMUC's program is recognized as one that has achieved the highest international standards in technology-enhanced learning within the field of management education.
1 Source: "18 Hot Jobs for 2015," CareerBuilder, LLC, November 20, 2014.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Affordable State Tuition Rates
Education jobs are predicted to grow 24 percent by 2020.1
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.