Master of Science in Financial Management and Information Systems
NOTE: As of Fall 2016, no new applications will be accepted for this specialization/program. Current students should contact their graduate advisor to go over their plan for completing the program requirements.
The Master of Science in Financial Management and Information Systems (MSFS) is designed for mid-career professionals seeking a graduate degree that integrates a financial management curriculum with studies in the information systems field.
With an increasing requirement that financial managers have specific knowledge of and skills in information systems, the program prepares financial managers to effectively deal with information systems within organizations, and to play a leading advisory role in integrating and utilizing information systems to create value within their corporations. The curriculum equally benefits individuals in the information systems and CIO field who would like to expand their studies into the area of financial management.
The curriculum requires 36 credits and consists of six financial management courses, five information systems courses, and one program capstone.
Dual Degree Options
With just a few additional courses, you can also pursue a second degree in business administration. Explore dual degree options.
- Students must complete MGMT 640 before enrolling in FIN 610, and FIN 610 must be completed before any other financial management course.
- Students must complete all courses except either FIN 645 or INFA 610 before enrolling in MSFS 670.
- FIN 630 is prerequisite to FIN 645.
Required Financial Management Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- FIN 610 Financial Management in Organizations (3)
- FIN 620 Long-Term Financial Management (3)
- FIN 630 Investment Valuation (3)
- FIN 645 Behavioral Finance (3)
- FIN 615 Financial Analysis and Modeling (3)
Required Information Technology Courses
- ISAS 610 Information Systems Management and Integration (3)
- ISAS 630 Systems Analysis and Design (3)
- ISAS 650 Information Technology, the CIO and Organizational Transformation (3)
- INFA 610 Foundations of Information Security and Assurance (3)
- IMAT 637 IT Acquisitions Management (3)
MSFS 670 Financial Management and Information Systems Capstone (3)
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.